and Swiss frontier town.
(parish of Friesen).
In the 19th century a fire ravaged several houses and both last world war destroyed too some houses, but the village still possesses a lot houses with half-timbering witch give an aspect so typical to Alsatian villages.
The old family names to Ueberstrass.
In 1662 EGGENSCHWILLER (or ENTGENSCHWILLER), LIEUW, LOHEMAN
From 1698 to 1710 CLOR (or CLAR), EGGENSCHWILLER (or EGGENSCHWEILLER), ERHARD (or ERHARDT), ECKERT (or EGGERT), HUSLIN (or HEUSLIN or HUSLEN), KEMPF, KELLER (or KOLLER or KOHLER), LIEUW (or LIEW), LOEHEMAN, SCHILD, WADEL
Those still exist in 20th century : ECKENSCHWILLER, ERHARD, HISLEN, LEY, WADEL.
The artisans. Very few written tracks concerning them before 1800, then one finds, weavers, shoemakers, dressmakers, millers, blacksmith... Jean Eckenschwiller ( 1779-1804 ) boss carpenter to Ueberstrass is the first carpenter known in the family Eckenschwiller, he will be followed by Ernest ( 1903-1956 ) then by François, who created his company in 1955, this one is steered by his son Patrick today.
Ueberstrass it is as well the pilgrimage of Our Lady du Grünenwald, the chapel destroyed during the first world war, was reconstructed after 1918. François Pierre Eckenschwiller, after exploited a farm to Beurnevésin until 1895, returned to Ueberstrass by making cross the Frontier in his cattle in the middle of the night. Between 1900 and 1914 he held a cafe near the chapel of Grünenwald. During the first world war the family would have should take refuge to Ste Marie ( Doubs). After the war this family settled down to Baldersheim.
In 1875 Catherine Eckenschwiller marries Louis Philibert QUAIN to Beurnevésin, they will have five children before emigrating into Argentina by 1895. Their descendants are established in the North of Santa Fe's province.